Sunday, June 20, 2010

Recycled Baby Stroller + Rubbermaid Bin = Bicycle Trailer


Here's my Car-Free Day rig--nice wheels from those running-mommy-style baby stroller/joggers. A friend built it for me a couple years ago, but I've rarely used it for gardening. I loaded my handtools in a side pannier, and had no desire to regularly haul heavier items up North Van's hills. Now, of course, I'm scooter-ified.

Today, however, I resurrected the trailer for a Car-Free Day personal parade and tweaked some irksome elements to make it really roadworthy.

That is, I removed the bicycle rack. The trailer hitch is on the seat post, so the trailer bars always hit the rack when I turned corners. Now, it can swivel no problem, and I'm ready to haul some fun gear up the road for the summer. I'll get a kick-stand and a back fender first, and I'll rig some kind of shower-cap lid for the box so I can overload it if necessary. Quadra Island, here I come?!

Car-Free Day, North Van style, was a shade different from the mother-event on Commercial Drive. More skaters, fake snow and jumps for boarders (a la Olympics), boom-box music, and a deficit of colourful street performers. However, this was the first effort, and they did take clever advantage of the steep grade on Lonsdale. I found the organizer, who said another one is planned for September. So I'll get my act together for that one.

No comments: