Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Recycle Broken Concrete!

How genius is this?!
While I'm on the topic of flagstones, I'm posting another project-in-progress from the Eco-Theme-Park also known as Liz n' Len's back garden. I get excited about things like this--what a fantastic use of and "disposal" solution for cumbersome broken concrete!
.
In the past, I've used it in the place of flagstone for pathways or small patios--usually because a homeowner wants to remove an old cement pathway and forego disposal costs. Broken concrete has the same irregular shape as natural stone (see the slabs lying-in-wait in the photo above) so is surprisingly attractive once recessed in the earth as stepping stones.
.
However, it is also surprisingly attractive as a retaining wall, as well as easier to stack than natural stone. And shall we point out it's free and delivered to the site, because the source site owners/contractors are overjoyed to forego the hefty disposal costs!
.
I'll be lurking in Liz n' Len's garden on a regular basis because genius is known to rub off on people.

2 comments:

Becca said...

That is a good idea! The wall looks fantastic, and I really love the red garden shed in the background. Makes me wish, not for the first time, that we had something natural and woodsy for a shed, instead of a plain, albeit practical & maintenance free PVC one. I just discovered your blog, and haven't read much yet but I'm liking what I see.

Cheryl Lindberg said...

Thanks Becca, I'll tell Liz n' Len they have a garden-fan. And yes, I love the shed too. It has a green roof too!