Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Flagstone around Tree

Isn't this a beautiful? A couple years ago, the old scotch pine fell over in a windstorm so Anne and Peter replaced it with a Katsura tree, and Peter reconstructed the flagstone patio around it. Then Anne and I planted a groundcover potentilla and blue star creeper (Isotoma fluviatilis, formerly known as Laurentia--I don't know why "they" renamed it--Isotoma sounds like an ocular disease).

Anyways, the pale starry blue glows with the complementary orange deciduous azaleas in the background.




I'm really liking the fractured root-like pattern around the tree, and am convinced there's some kind of optical illusion going on--the surface looks like a dome. If you were a colourist/paintster, you'd say that's because the lightest colour is in the centre of a circle, which gives the impression of light striking the top surface of a dome.


Here we are--Gardening Co-Conspirators/Inspirators. (Anne said my shirt matched the garden so she had to take my picture. Anne is also a paintster. I said I had to take her picture because it's her garden!)







No comments: