Monday, September 14, 2009

Wow

I finally dropped in at the new-ish West Vancouver Community/Aquatic/Rec Centre on Marine Drive (refuge from rain!) and had a breath-taking moment, looking up at this Gordon Smith drift-wood collage in the main atrium.

I think I love it because of the imagined process--beach-combing is such a random timeless activity that seeing such a massive collection in one place somehow conveys lifetimes and generations of finding simple treasures. But really, just the fact that that much driftwood is stuck up on a wall is pretty fabulous. I wonder what other people think it's about. Maybe it's a profile portrait of Lord Baden Powell. I can't see it.

Walked in just in time to run into Sheila, who works there, and she said it's really amazing in the spring, when the sunlight reaches in the south window and casts it all in relief. Apparently, it was commissioned, but the artist ended up donating it. So this is on my Recommended Spring Art Tour of the North Shore. Or anytime.

No comments: