Saturday, September 19, 2009

Addendum to Previous Pesticide Post

Ah, the old pragmatist vs. romantic idealist debate. I bring this up because I portrayed the factions in the pesticide bylaw preceedings as the dualistic Lawn Care Dudes vs. Crochet-Tuque Radicals.

This of course does not represent the Reality of the New Millenium, whenever that is. Fact is, the pragmatists couldn't live without the romantic idealists, and the romantic idealists couldn't live without the pragmatists. And we won't go starting wars between them, because all the romantic idealists would be dead. And then the pragmatists would be lonely. And bored.

As our awareness grows, the chasm between the two lessens--it is simply pragmatic to factor in the effects of pesticides on ourselves and the environment.

This is the direction we are moving, I do believe. For instance, during the pesticide bylaw preceedings, the sole golf course industry representative present was...one of my home garden clients.

Yes, the golf courses got their concession for limited pesticide use--triggering much crochet-tuque-rending--but I do note on http://www.pesticidefreebc.org/ that the Seymour Golf Course is noted as having "significantly reduced its cosmetic pesticide use." Which is the direction we are moving! Good. So I thought this a better note to end on.

And besides, I do contract two days a week with a Dude With a Truck. Because I like to, and it's handy to have help on my projects now and then. And the rest of the time I love riding my bike. It's also pragmatic to do what you love.

No comments: