Saturday, June 22, 2013

Solstice 2013 Wreck Beach Mandala

Little Helpers
 'Mandala' is a Sanskrit word which means 'circle.' A circle can be defined as an 'integrated structure organized around a unifying centre.' (That's from my book, The Mandala Book: Patterns of the Universe,  by Lori Bailey Cunningham.)  Both mandalas and circles are found in sacred art all around the world, and throughout nature.

This beach mandala happened this
evening on Wreck Beach, famous for naked people and sheer bliss.

When I make beach mandalas, I follow a few simple rules:

I must only use materials found onsite.

Um, I think that's the only rule.

Oh ya: and anyone who wants to help is welcome.

This time, I placed the most delicate
materials at the centre of the mandala and worked outward with increasingly sturdy bits. The rugged seaworthy bush in the background (must look that up) is slightly prickly and pungent, and part of the perimeter.

By the time the wild roses, feathers and beach grasses were in place, I had a troop of little helpers scouring the dunes for bark and driftwood. Here they are, pushing the final berm of sand into place. I also had a lovely gentleman of the discreetly naked variety drift by with a rose, a bit of driftwood.

So fun.
Try making one, somewhere. Doesn't have to be on a beach. I'd love it if mandalas starting appearing everywhere.

Happy Solstice.

3 comments:

Garden Understories said...

What a beauty. yes, mandalas can only mean good things.

Anonymous said...

A discretely naked man is a man with a hat?

Found your blog looking for Wreck Beach photos. Your mandala survived intact until after the 26th, but sometime between then and the 2nd it disappeared except for one small feather, like a crop circle that mysteriously vanishes from a farmer's field overnight.

The nearby plants may be Ambrosia chamissonis.

Cheryl Lindberg said...

How wonderful that you found these pics...and traced the life of the mandala. I also looked up Ambrosia chamissonis and yep, that's it! Thank-you! I have to add--using 'discrete' and 'naked' in the same sentence was also a wonderful thing (I think it was more descriptive of your demeanor)