Monday, January 31, 2011

Winter Sanity-Savers...


After an extended delay, my Amaryllis has arrived (seen here, singin' show-tunes in my window). I like its (her) sense of timing after all; she's doing a fine job of chasing away the End-of-January Bleak-Monster.

That bouquet of flowering-currant twigs I mentioned in the last post is also flushing into bloom...with just a flush of pink. Not quite the rose-pink I was hoping for, but I am nevertheless impressed. The buds were fairly tight when I salvaged the branches, yet they produced a full drop-down blossom just sitting in a vase of water for 12 days. That's a lot of stored energy. There is absolutely no innuendo intended in the above paragraph.
.
I have decided to amuse myself this year by experimenting with the "cut-flower-bouquet"-potential of whatever flower/branch/stalk/stem-bits I happen to haul home. The first test for prospective florals, of course, will be surviving wind-force on the back of a scooter. So I'm not promising fine florals. A bit more rustic perhaps.
.
Bouquets sure do liven up a space. I suppose people have known that for years. Late bloomer here, ha ah.
.
In the meantime, my keen observation skills and quick camera reflexes captured this image for BGC readers... (compliments of recent West Coast fusion curry/crab/sushi feast at Chiaki and Geoff's!)


I think the Red Racer Pale Ale logo is awesome, if unlikely. Reminds me of the B:C:Clettes--the Vancouver-based all-girl bicycle-show-dancing revue. Definitely worth a Google.

No comments: