Saturday, May 15, 2010

Lost: One Fabulous Gardening Hat


Ironically, sadly, mere days after the photo-shoot for Weed & Fertilizer Magazine, I lost my hat. I was riding my bicycle that day in fact--I tucked it in my side pannier and it must have flown off... (Because of course I wear a helmet on The Scoot.)


A Good Hat is hard to come by, so I spent a day hatless and paid for it with a mild case of sunstroke today. You know you have sunstroke when you see sunshine and want to crawl into a dark cave--which I did, after a half-day creeping around in the shade like a vampire, pretending I was fine.

This is a great pain at this time of year, when 25 people are waiting for you to come and garden. So if you see someone wearing my hat, tell them to leave it at Beans on Marine Dr. West Van and there'll be no questions asked. Meantime, I think I have a baseball cap somewhere (horrors).

The strange green object secured behind The Scoot is a bendy-bucket--my new favourite gardening tool, which doubles as a on-the-spot watering can and is much easier to maneuver through garden beds than large bins/canvas bags. Now that I've mentioned it, I hope it doesn't pop off and disappear on my way home.

Further to popping off scooters, I'm trying to resolve my dilemma of What To Wear on the scoot during the heat of summer. Despite reports that Italians everywhere are known to wear dresses and high heels on scooters (the women only, presumably) I am appalled at the thought. High heels are great for aerating lawns, but dresses get caught when you have to climb trees to prune. Anyways, the bare leg thing doesn't fly.

I'm not sure why. Maybe because scooting past outdoor cafes on cobblestone streets is a very different thing from jostling in double-lanes with SUVs. Maybe because I've witnessed road-rash, and I don't do well around blood. I truly envy the Italians their carpe diem fashion-flare, but...what is it? Are Canadians waaaay too safety-obsessed?





"Carpe Diem!"
--an Italian gnomette

No comments: