Saturday, July 6, 2013

Something Stinks in the State of Osborne House

This is me, with my stinky face on.
That is a garbage pail, full of comfrey tea/stew. It smells like a bad cow disease.

I actually had two stinky things go down at our shared-house estate this month.

The first one started out like comfrey--the common deep-rooted herbaceous perennial heralded for mining minerals from the soil and making them available at the surface: mulch with the leaves and as they decompose they deposit the goods around your crops.

Or chop grand quantities into a garbage pail of water, let stew for several weeks, then dilute the resulting green slurry in a watering can and pour around your plants. This is supposedly very very good for your plants. Very nutritious.
However. Not only does the pail itself emanate lurid drafts that are commonly diagnosed as invisible leaks in the city sewage pipes, but the entire landscape, once doused, reeks of some freshly deposited...bad cow disease. I repeat myself.

The second stinky thing in our shared-house estate resulted in this makeshift sign being posted in the front foyer.

You know something's rotten when you have to post a sign like this.

Yes, I had to evict someone this month, due to a completely off the charts 'birthday party.' Shocked and furious can describe my reaction (in that order).

I don't discriminate by age in my choice of housemates--I've had (and have) several mid-twenties people who are responsible and awesome. There are people out there, I have discovered, who will just do what they want to do when they want to do it, in spite of previous discussions and agreements for the common good. Seems to come down to being self-involved. Seems to come down to being evicted.

So as of today, he is gone, I'm a little wiser, and I have resolved to mulch with comfrey leaves rather than make comfrey stinky-tea.

 
And I'm giving myself a big beautiful lovely-smelling rose for having to deal with all that!
Here's Anne's 'D.L. Braithwaite', from the David Austen rose collection.

No comments: