Sunday, April 10, 2011

Guerrilla Composting and Associated Fashion Tips

[Addendum to previous post: Compost, Worms, Mulching: All Good Things]
If you live on the edge of society, as a renter for example, you may not have ultimate authority over what kind of Soil-Improvement System is installed in your vicinity. Landlords n' ladies have their own ideas about what category "composting" falls into, and vermin-attracting is one.
I know, I know, the irony is astounding: that I (who find it genetically and vocationally impossible to throw organic matter into the garbage) can't install the municipal-standard-issue black plastic composter in "my" garden...but there is a way.
Initially, I had a Worm-Composter--basically, a worm farm in a large rubbermaid bin--that turned out to be a little small for my composting needs. I could still do it--if I had two rubbermaid bins, but I discovered Guerrilla Composting in the meantime.
First thing is to allay suspicion by donning whimsical apparel, like this fleece-lined bandana-babushka, available at Mark's Work Wearhouse.
The bandana-babushka is very versatile, and while it also mainly functions as a scooter-neckerchief, it also provides an effective disguise (opening photo) while guerrilla-composting.
Guerrilla-composting is simple. Dig a hole. At least one foot down. Dump in your bucket of kitchen compost and mash it up with your shovel. Cover up and pat down. I have a large heavy stepping stone that I plunk on the spot, to discourage small digging critters that may be so inclined.

I also have two or three "digging spots" and by the time I rotate through them, the compost has broken down and more can be added without overloading and attracting vermin. I've never had a problem with rats/raccoons digging for the goodies buuut I once had a bear toss aside my stepping stone like a flip-top beer cap and mess around. So I tend to limit my guerrilla tactics to the bear-offseason.
In my landlord n' lady's defense, we do back onto a greenbelt/wildlife corridor, and it is common in the summer to have black bears wander through the neighbourhood. That said, these bears are usually attracted by far-superior garbage odours--which would be virtually eliminated if you have a functioning compost system and don't put food waste in the garbage cans. Except for meats/grains of course.
One day, the municipality will include compost-pickup on garbage days. Or we will all keep chickens and feed it all to them. And then I can retire my bandito-bandana-babushka.

2 comments:

Chris said...

Well, I make do without the bandana but I kinda do the same things as you. I dig pits in the garden as well. Fortunately, there are no bears within 100 miles. The difference though is that I throw in a couple of composting worms to help speed up the process.

Cheryl Lindberg said...

Cheers, guerrillas gotta know our people are out there.