Sunday, February 20, 2011

2011 Hobbit Houses

I took these pics shortly after wiping out on ice (in slow motion, a la bicyclette) and landing in goose poo in Stanley Park today. It was worth it. I looked up...and saw these.


Updated from 2010 models, these are possibly the most statuesque Hobbit Houses I've seen yet. They probably have a real name--something quaint and British like "twiggeries"--but I either call them "wigwams" (neither quaint nor British) or Hobbit Houses, for reasons obvious to me. These particular houses will support large patches of tall Phlox.

This post is mainly for my own How-To benefit, for future reference. In fact, if I kept pics like this under wraps, I could probably take credit for inventing Hobbit Houses. Whenever I build them in clients' gardens, they think I'm absolutely brilliant because they've never noticed them before.

Case in point: notice the random gentleman, below, oblivious to the presence of Hobbit Houses.

FMI (For My Information): the gardeners here used entire saplings (retaining side branches instead of stripping the main trunks into poles); they bend opposing saplings into archways to form the main structure, then interwine the side branches as well, for bracing. Nice work. And you thought putting up a tent was hard.

No comments: