Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Holiday Door Decoration...

Here's this year's Yule Ball at Roswitha's--I explain how to make these in the Dec. 8th/2009 post.

This year, we have some lovely Magnolia grandiflora foliage in the mix (the leaves with the brown fuzzy undersides). You can buy these in pricey bunches--occasionally--at the same places you purchase holiday greenery, but I salvaged from the choppity-job that surveyor did in the lower garden.
.
(I have a post about that a couple posts ago. The survey company turned out to be very apologetic for the shoddy work of one of their employees, and paid for a replacement tree.)
.
There are also redtwig dogwood branches (at the top), red skimmia berries, blowdown fir, dry hydrangea blossoms, and whirly holly branches coming out the bottom. Whatever I could find!
.
As a side note: I also used a bunch of Laurel Daphne/Spurge Daphne/Daphne laureola as filler on the backside, and it has held up really well (I made the Yule Ball two weeks ago and this pic is from today.) Daphne laureola actually has "noxious weed" status in Washington, but people here think it's pretty... So I encourage everyone to go out in the woods and pick it for your holiday arrangements! Weed while you decorate :)

No comments: