Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Spidey Senses

September is Spider Month.

If anyone sees me out in the garden, apparently playing with an invisible marionette, I'm just trying to relocate a swinging spidey whose handiwork I just walked through. Feel bad about that.

I wonder if they start building a new one right away, or if they just take the day off, head down to the pub, make a claim at the Web-Compensation Board. Something like that.

Speaking of spidey senses, I think I'm losing mine--I mean, the ones required to ride a bicycle in traffic. All this scootering has eroded my cycling Spidey Senses. I assume I'm honing my scootering Spidey Senses, which is a good thing, but when I went on a long bicycle-ride last weekend, I got honked at twice. Both times, I was following the trajectory of a bicycle-lane that suddenly ended and I failed to vaporize at the same time. Before the Scooter (BS) I guess I never felt entitled to space on the road and obligingly vaporized, because I rarely got honked at.

I am therefore mystified by the behaviour of traffic on Marine Drive in West Van. How many times have I seen spandex-clad road-racing cyclists obliviously holding up a long line of cars as they spin around the winding one-lane coastline. I actually don't think those cyclists are oblivious--they just feel entitled to the road, even though common courtesy would beg they pull over for the parade behind them. Even more surprising, no one honks. I suspect the drivers are afraid the cyclist might be their boss, or someone they don't want to offend.

I guess I don't look like a high-powered cyclist, since the closest thing to spandex I wear is socks (they're tight, and sometimes have a small logo). I am therefore honk-at-able. But now I know what it feels like to Take the Lane. Oh, the power. I have tasted it. Who needs Spidey Senses when you can lead the parade...

No comments: