Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Oriental Lily Mutates: Over 200 Buds!


Maybe I should call the Guinness Book of World Records, or the National Enquirer...


This lily is five feet tall, and either an Oriental or Aurelian hybrid; either way, you're lucky to normally get up to 20 flowers. I'm estimating over 200 here.
In the photo below, you can see how the stem has mutated. Somehow, cell division went berserk and continued sideways. It's as if several lilies are fused together on a flat stem that looks like wide ribbon licorice. The mutation also triggered over-zealous leaf and bud production.
My fingers show how wide the stem is at the top. (I have big hands, so that span is about six inches.)


If you're thinking what I'm thinking...yes, I've staked it, and yes, I'm planning a scooter-photography-mission when I get the Bud-Break Report. This unlikely specimen is in Pierre and Patti's garden, soon to be a destination for Horticultural Wonders of the World pilgrims. Limited time only!

No comments: