Friday, August 28, 2009

Garden Ninja


Look at this thing. It is my favourite tool (currently). It looks so terrible.
I don't know what it is called. The Garden Dagger, for gardeners/assassins. It is, in fact, a sharpish-edged trowel, with a weed-picker point, and my own innovation is carrying it in a holster on my belt, which I highlight because it's only taken me ten years to discover a way to NOT lose one trowel/week. Which can get expensive. I would not have discovered this method if not out of the necessity of carrying my sharpish Garden Dagger. I hope nobody authoritative reads this and decides you need a special licence to carry it/bans it. I will strap it to the inside of my gumboot if I have to.



Oh--almost forgot. These are my favourite gloves (currently). They are called "Carrot Tops" which is not just super-cutesy (and annoying to men) but because the orange finger-tips are double-coated in neoprene goo to make them extra-durable. So the whole glove disintegrates before the cheerful orange fingertips show any stress. Do you know how many other, less-enlightened gloves are rendered useless just because the index fingertip* wears out? Do you know how hard I tried to Frankenstein old fingers onto otherwise-perfect gloves, leaving gruesome trails of dismembered duct-taped digits through unsuspecting clients' gardens? You don't know. You don't care. Fine.
To my knowledge, Carrot-Tops can be purchased only at Jim's Home Hardware in Dundarave, which is a great store. I like all Home Hardwares. They are independently owned and when I am an old lady I want to work in one. I'm not telling where you can buy Garden Daggers, because I don't want them in anyone else's hands.

*Do you truly realize how much you use your index finger?




No comments: