Saturday, July 5, 2008

Well hello there..




So who would have thought. Just returned from another day of this bicycle-gardening I speak of. Granted, it is July: one of the four months of the year that people are guaranteed to marvel at the occupation of gardening in general as an enviable one. Mayjunejulyaugust. This morning was balmy, and as I coasted down Mountain Highway, coffee cup steaming in the drink holder, I honestly couldn't think of what I'd rather be doing. The world is green, heady with cross-drafts of blooming things, and I feel free.

Okay, so it proceeded to psst rain the rest of the day. HOWever. I was busy pruning and tending a garden we partially redesigned last fall, so was fun to see how the new plants are filling in. Also prepping the place for a late August wedding, so planned a few more visits before then, to make sure everything will be camera-ready. And the lady of the house delivered fresh coffee, muffins, and cherries picked from the top branches of trees in Creston (apparently--it's a late crop this year & slim pickins) to keep me inspired. Just as I was finishing up the sun came out, so I shed my dual-purpose bike/gardening rain pants and boot covers, rolled up Helly, and rolled off surprisingly clean.

So la, a day of bicycle-gardening. It is normal for me now, but certainly took a while to work out the gear, the logistics, the philosophy. Even then, it is good to start with an understanding of the seasonal boot camp that gardening-for-a-living can be. It is more of an adjustment for anyone whose previous life/occupation was little affected by the seasons and the weather. I have personally developed a despisal for radio announcers who deliver those swivel-chair weather reports, like "oo, check out the torrential downpour folks, what a drag" as if it affects them at ALL in their warm dry little studios. I have nevertheless also developed an addiction for being outside, in tune, cycling through the cycle of the seasons. And I LOVE always always having an excuse to be there, immersed in plants, feeling completely engaged and productive. It's elemental: we just "wish we were outside." Who is "we"? Gardeners? Oo, gotta work. Darn.

No comments: